guest blog by Nila Ridings
She was a 17 year old lifeguard at the Heritage Point HOA swimming pool. She was found in the water by another employee, but he could not jump in and try to save her because the water was electrified.
My heart is broken for her parents, family, and friends who will say a final good-bye to Rachel in the coming days. There will always be the unanswered questions. One will be “why” did this young woman’s life end so soon?
The investigators will uncover “how” this happened. Possibly, she left them one clue with a text message on her phone that was found near the pool? But no matter how it happened, Rachel’s life journey has ended.
We have heard of these deadly pool stories before where the HOA hired some unlicensed contractors to do the wiring on a pool and it proved to be a fatal decision. They saved no money, as they thought they would, but they took the life of an innocent person. I certainly hope that is not the case in this situation.
Adding to the sadness of the loss of life, the homeowners face the liability of responsibility for these tragedies. It’s that liability that so few people realize they are accepting when they sign those papers to own a home in an HOA. Every homeowner can have his or her life changed drastically if the insurance coverage is not sufficient, the policy has been canceled, or the attorneys find significant negligence.
So much sadness. In so many ways, it raises our awareness of what we truly did to ourselves the day we bought into an HOA.
Soar now with angel wings Miss Rachel Anna Rosoff.