guest blog by Nila Ridings
Roger Mirro of Palantine, Illinois thought he might have accidentally thrown his cell phone in the garbage bag he dropped down the trash chute in his four story condo building. He was given the key to access the compactor by Larry Boni, a board member. Since Boni was waiting on a phone call he allowed Roger to take on the task of searching the trash unsupervised. But he failed to mention the equipment was activated by an electronic eye which had no emergency safety shut-off mechanism.
Roger fell into the compactor, tripping the automatic mechanism for compaction and died. He was blind. Regardless of that, there were no signs or warnings posted around this dangerous piece of equipment.
Did Roger know this was an electronic crushing device? Or did he think he was going to be searching through a standard trash receptacle? I suppose these questions will be answered in the wrongful death, pain and suffering lawsuit that has now been filed in Cook County by his wife, Donna Mirro.
I wonder? Do the condo owners in this association realize the massive liability they could be facing simply because a board member handed over the key to the compactor? This widow deserves compensation for the needless loss of her husband and the attorneys will dig deep into everybody’s pockets to get it.
This tragedy should raise the awareness that something as simple as handing over a key can change the lives of everyone when you live in an HOA or condo association.